Monday, November 19, 2012

The Cat O'Nine Tails - Dario Argento

Seen for the first time in November 2012.

Between this and “Suspiria,” I don’t really understand Dario Argento’s outsized reputation. I liked this a lot better than I liked “Suspiria.” This is legitimately riveting and suspenseful. But still, it doesn’t stand out amongst the works of Mario Bava, Lucio Fulci, or Umberto Lenzi in the world of giallo. To its credit, when the mystery is solved, the plot is a bit convoluted but it isn’t the Rube Goldberg machine similar films often end up seeming plotwise. This is a better than average thriller, but I feel like Argento needs to be either grimmer, grimier, or sleazier or else he’s just second-rate Italian Hitchcock. By which I mean, one either needs to be as good as Hitchcock or they need to compensate somehow, cause this is a nice film and all, but it’s no “Vertigo.” Grade B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment