Wednesday, January 30, 2013

In a Lonely Place

Seen for the first time in January 2013.

Though I enjoyed it, I don't think "In a Lonely Place" is actually a very good movie. It's biggest problem is that it's overwritten. But it's also choppy and there's lots of stilted dialogue. On the other hand, this is one of the best performances Bogart ever gave, and the underrated Gloria Grahame matches him every step of the way. I wish they had been a more likable couple though. The "honeymoon" period of their relationship was quite sickening. Watching their googly-eyed lovey-doveyness and public displays of affection made me cringe with embarrassment. It's like hanging out with a friend and his new girlfriend and they don't know how to behave in front of people. Sickening. But then of course that changes and things go in a disturbing direction.

It turns out Bogart's character doesn't just have anger management issues. His rage is palpable and disturbing and quite likely homicidal and very scary. This thing becomes a monster movie and Bogart is the monster and we hope poor Gloria Grahame makes it out okay. It's actually a pretty impressive depiction, for its time, of a controlling abusive relationship. I'm pretty sure there wasn't a short-hand understanding about the dynamics of these relationships at the time. I admire and am impressed with the insight on display, but ultimately, the film is close to a failure as a matter of style. And by the by, that nonsense little poem "I was born when she kissed me..." is pretty much the shittiest attempt at evocative ponderousness I've seen in a movie in a long time. Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment