Saturday, February 2, 2013

Mad Cowgirl

Seen for the first time in February 2013.

I have to confess that I didn't quite finish "Mad Cowgirl." I fast-forwarded through the last 10 minutes and have no idea what happened there. It's not that bad of a movie though. It has potential. You watch it and think that this is somebody's first movie, and that that somebody has a lot of potential to make good movies though they aren't there yet. You also think, the premise of this movie has a lot of potential, but it never really delivers on it.

The biggest problem with this movie is that it has a pretty shitty sense of humor. My very first thought about it was that I wished this movie was more committed to delivering exploitation thrills than it was in trying to be funny. It has a sub-"Requiem For a Dream" artistic sensibility that works for the most part and is really the aspect that allowed me to power through much of the boredom and tedium that I felt for most of the movie before finally giving in after 75-80 minutes. Of particular weakness is the televangelist character, which kind of feels cliche and uninteresting. Also, apparently the film-maker here doesn't know the difference between roman catholicism and evangelical protestantism. It doesn't really matter except for the fact that its sloppy.

For a movie that's supposed to be a twisted thriller, I'd say it's strange enough, but it needs to deliver more thrills. Grade C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment