Sunday, June 30, 2013

The Man Who Knew Too Much (1934) - Alfred Hitchcock

Seen for the first time in June 2013.

I didn't actually successfully watch this film. I tried to out of curiosity despite my historical failings with Hitchcock's early British films, partially because, lol, someone on the internet said it was better than his 50's remake and because I like Peter Lorre. I'm not a fan of the 50's remake almost solely because of Doris Day singing "que sera sera" which is such a terrible thing in my mind that it clouds my judgement for the rest of the movie for reasons I'm not even sure of. I've never let this sort of thing corrupt my interest in other films of that era so I don't know why I hold such a visceral loathing to this example. Maybe the rest of the film isn't really that strong. I don't know. I can't think of any other Hitchcock greats with this sort of musical disruption though.

Anyway, I feel as though I'm as able to engage with historical film as much as anyone. But for some reason, British Hitchcock is a bridge too far for me. Maybe it's too old and too British. I tried when I was younger, and I still can't, still don't care.

Grade Incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment