Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Twister (1990)


Seen for the first time in August 2012.

Some guys at work suggested I watch the 1995 Helen Hunt Van Halen soundtrack Twister, and despite my skepticism I put it in my Netflix queue. While searching though, I came across this movie by that same name that looked interesting enough that I put it very high in my queue. I’m glad I did. This movie is great. It’s also very strange.

It’s a fun understated little comedy with a great cast, revolving around quirky dysfunctional family stuff. I like also that the main female doesn’t wear pants for the first few scenes. Interesting bit toward the end where Crispin Glover, intent on being upset that his family doesn’t like his soup, ignores the fact that Dylan McDermott does like it so that he can go on in dramatic anguish. Suggests some of these behaviors are put on for attention.

Overall this is a nice relic from the heyday of the independent/cult era before corporations got involved in making quirky pseudo-independent family comedies like the atrocious Little Miss Sunshine. A lot of fun and a lot of good laughs and totally and genuinely off-beat. Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment