Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Rules of the Game - Jean Renoir

Seen for the first time in July 2013.

Containing the same warm depth as "La Grande Illusion," (though I'd compare it more to a dusty bottle of a pleasant blended Scotch than an aged Wheated Bourbon), I nonetheless liked "The Rules of the Game" a good deal less than I liked "La Grande Illusion." Not so much because it wasn't a pleasant film with some very nice moments, but probably because I'm unable to regard it with the esteem that consistently places it amongst the very best films ever made. There is a warm humanity infusing it and it is pleasantly diverting, but it does feel like one is being a good boy and eating his vegetables and it leaves me wondering a bit just what am I supposed to be getting out of this. It doesn't feel essential much less canonical. The joys are light and subtle, but not particularly deep. I'm left feeling very self-conscious about assigning it a grade. It's reputation is so big and yet it's impact so small. Honesty ought to prevail. Grade B-.

No comments:

Post a Comment