Saturday, October 27, 2012

Le Corbeau - Henri-Georges Clouzot


For most of this film, I was convinced the teenage girl was the one behind the letters. So convinced that I thought it was flaw not to make it explicit, elsewise people might think it a weak mystery rather than fairly strong suspense. I was wrong though. In fairness the mystery aspect is still not a strength of this movie in my opinion. Who is Le Corbeau doesn’t really matter. Especially since it seems as though everyone in the town probably wrote at least a letter or two as Le Corbeau.

Its strengths, I suppose, lie in its damning of typical human pettiness and its opposition to bourgeois morality. But it’s not all urbane moralizing either. It’s an engaging movie, that while not thrilling, is engrossing. It is suspenseful. It’s also very dialogue driven. I would call it theatrical. A little bit of Agatha Christie. A little bit of Hitchcock.

I can’t say I understand why the Gestapo would care about this film one way or the other. Don’t care to find out either. I don’t think it’s relevant to my engagement with this film. Just a good suspenseful film filled with small-town folks being provincial. Grade B.

No comments:

Post a Comment