Sunday, October 21, 2012

New Year's Day


This is not the sort of movie I usually like to spend my time watching. Little (as in slight) indie projects, particularly those that are British or New Zealand or Australian, which are like little personal, emotional statements are pretty much not for me, generally speaking. Or more accurately, as I said before, not really how I like to spend my time. So much chaff, and when you do find the wheat, it’s not really that good. And I could be watching a loud movie with obvious entertainment value. Judge if ye will, but I’m not embarrassed by not being entertained by other people’s narcissism.

I ended up really liking this one though. Granted, in the beginning, I was rolling my eyes, and really asking myself how I allowed myself to get stuck watching one of these movies. It starts off maudlin. And there’s a real lack of needed charisma among the two main characters. And the humor is terrible. This is not funny. I found myself craving a little Hollywood pizzazz, whatever that means. I thought of all kinds of little ways to tweak this thing. To juice it up. But you know, somewhere in there, it turns into this really moving, understated, realistic film about two kids who are having a hard time coping with their mourning. And I really wouldn’t tweak a thing, except maybe make the two main characters have fewer moments where you think they might start making out. I’m glad I watched this, but not so glad that I’m gonna try hard to see more like it. Grade A.

No comments:

Post a Comment