Saturday, October 27, 2012

Moontide


I had to force myself to watch this film. I don’t really know why I thought it was so important to watch it. I knew early on it was unexceptional, and I don’t believe anyone on the planet thinks its in any way essential or that there would ever be a moment in any person’s life, much less my own, where a failure to see this particular movie would ever be noticed much less regretted. Yet I forced myself to watch it anyway, past the point where I wanted to stop. For very little reward.

Jean Gabin reminds me of Tommy Wiseau at times in this. It’s the accent plus a certain carefree elan. Maybe the unrealistic love and romance is a part of it too. Merely reminiscent though, not as crude.

There are some holes in the plot. Ida Lupino goes from suicide to half of a happy couple with no transition or explanation. Also this turns out to be a total bummer of a movie. Sometimes that’s a good thing, but this movie seems too trivial to justify its grim moments. At best, this movie is watchable, but nothing more. Grade C-.

No comments:

Post a Comment